17th International Symposium
New Innovations in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
May 8-10, 2017
VENUE: Odd Fellows Mansion, Bredgade 28, 1260 Copenhagen K, Denmark
Download the template, fill it out, and submit your proposal online no later than March 26, 2017.
If your proposal is accepted by the review board, register online for the symposium, and pay your registration fee. Deadline April 16, 2017.
Join 40 professionals in wonderful Copenhagen, Denmark from May 8-10, 2017, to finalise our book for publication.
Testimonials from previous delegates
I have been to many conferences and symposiums but this was the ultimate. I am afraid that everything I attend now that is not like LiHE will be a disappointment., University of Johannesburg
The way the sessions were organised was fantastic and gave us great direction over the three days. That and the continuous stream of calories via the cakes, fruit, smoothies and coffee in addition to the wonderful choice of food venues meant even us weird vegans stayed fully energized., University of Cardiff
I had an amazing time and it was everything that I hoped it would be, and that’s before you take into account the wonderful food, trips and weather that we were treated to., Hong King Polytechnic University
Fantastic organisation, fantastic people and fantastic place – and a great result pending!, Birmingham City University
It was a truly amazing event and I came away with the feeling that every academic should experience this kind of conference format., Brunel University
It was the best experience of my teaching career and I hope to replicate it someday., York University
An amazing experience to attend such a great symposium, lovely memories and a lovely company really., British University Egypt
I had never attended an organization like this before and surely I have learned a lot., Cukurova University
ABOUT THE BOOK WE’RE GOING TO PUBLISH WORLDWIDE
The aim of higher education is to the improve knowledge, skills and competencies of students to prepare them for their future life and careers. For many years the dominant paradigm underlying this endeavor has been didactic teaching in lecture theatres, where one responsible teacher delivers content to students. Social learning theories, modern epistemologies, and new technologies, are some of the aspects that have pushed for a change in the paradigm of teaching and learning in higher education.
The handbook we are going to write together at the 17th international LiHE-symposium in Wonderful Copenhagen, May 8-9-10, 2017, will showcase NEW INNOVATIONS IN TEACHING AND LEARNING IN HIGHER EDUCATION.
We call upon teachers, researchers, and other professionals in higher education to join forces and submit their NEW INNOVATION IN TEACHING AND LEARNING IN HIGHER EDUCATION for inclusion in this inspiring international handbook of the highest quality. The handbook will inspire readers to engage their students in new ways of teaching and learning.
The handbook will document all inspiring types of NEW INNOVATIONS IN TEACHING AND LEARNING IN HIGHER EDUCATION.
Possible innovations could be (but is by no means limited to):
- innovative teaching and learning practices using e-learning;
- innovative teaching and learning practices using games/simulations/role-play;
- innovative teaching and learning practices using case-methodology;
- innovative teaching and learning practices using research-based methods;
- innovative teaching and learning practices using learning space design;
- innovative teaching and learning practices using modern technologies like Google glasses, augmented reality, GPS, etc.;
- innovative teaching and learning practices using competitions;
- innovative teaching and learning practices using business practice and fieldwork;
- innovative teaching and learning practices using art, music, and culture;
The handbook will be published worldwide by Libri Publishing Ltd., Oxfordshire, UK. You will get credited as an author of the innovative teaching and learning practice you submit. All submissions are double-blind reviewed, reviewed by collegial work groups, and undergo editorial reviews.
Submit a 3-5 paged documentation of your NEW INNOVATION IN TEACHING AND LEARNING IN HIGHER EDUCATION. Use the TEMPLATE. It is important that your documentation is clear and descriptive. Think of it as a short description with teachers’ notes, so that readers of the HANDBOOK will be able to learn from your example and try your teaching and learning innovation themselves.
The deadline for submitting your INNOVATIVE TEACHING AND LEARNING PRACTICE for double-blind review is March 26, 2017.
Reviewers will refer to the following questions when reviewing your DOCUMENTED INNOVATION IN TEACHING AND LEARNING:
- Is your documented practice showing a clear case of innovative teaching and learning in higher education?
- It is important that your teaching and learning practice is both innovative and inspiring.
- Is your documented practice of innovative teaching and learning clear, compelling and concise?
- It is a must that the readers will be able to follow your innovative teaching and learning practice in such detail that they can implement a similar innovative teaching and learning practice in their own university settings.
ABOUT THE SYMPOSIUM FEE
covering symposium fee + all symposium materials* + all inclusive meals** + social programme*** + free internet access at symposium site + 3 copies of the HANDBOOK when published.
covering all-inclusive meals** + social programme*** + free Internet access at symposium site.
covering all-inclusive meals** + social programme*** + free Internet access at symposium site. Children under 7 are free of charge.
covering publishing fee + 3 copies of the HANDBOOK when published.
*All symposium materials.
**3 × breakfast, 3 × lunch, 3 × dinner; accompanying drinks to all meals; fresh water, coffee, tea, soft drinks, juice and fruits ad libitum.
*** Social programme includes local cultural visits and activities for participants, spouses and children.
The symposium includes an inspiring social programme:
- channel boat tour of Copenhagen Harbour including a visit to The Little Mermaid
- visit to the Steelcase Active Learning Centre at the Institute for Learning in Higher Education
- lunch at the old Carlsberg Brewery in Valby
- lunch at Copenhagen Street Food
- dinner at the Copenhagen Meatpacking District Food & Market
- dinner at Christiania (the free community)
- visit to Dyrehavsbakken including Horse-Carridge Ride in the forest & free-ride pass
- dinner at Dyrehavsbakken (The Oldest Amusement Park in the World)
Absolutely no extra symposium fees are charged. This is an all-inclusive symposium package.
Accommodation is *not* included.
Explanation of fee-structure. LiHE operates with an all-inclusive symposium package, contrary to other conference organisers, who charge you for individual activities. We believe that the LiHE-model is fairer, because you know what you get, so you are not surprised with extra costs during the symposium. With the LiHE-model you know exactly what your symposium budget is *before* you go, so you can apply for funding. Compared to other conferences, we also find that the LiHE-model is less expensive.
ABOUT THE EDITORS
The book is edited by Professor Dr. John Branch, University of Michigan; Professor Dr. Paul Bartholomew, Aston University; Lecturer Anne Hørsted, University of Southern Denmark; Professor Dr. Claus Nygaard, Institute for Learning in Higher Education.
ABOUT THE PUBLISHER
Libri Publishing Ltd., Brunel House, Volunteer Way, Faringdon, Oxfordshire, SN7 7YR, England. Libri is a publishing company committed to providing innovative, high quality, challenging publications for readers. It is a highly responsive publishing service for authors and client organisations. Libri was established in February 2009 by a team of colleagues who had worked together for a dozen years in professional and academic publishing, knowledge transfer, and the management and delivery of blended learning projects. Between them, Libri’s senior managers have over fifty years’ of experience in media organisations, higher education and consultancy. Their extensive expertise includes authorship, design, editing, printing and publishing, IT and e-learning pedagogy, and the design and provision of continuing professional development programmes. Libri supports its core expertise with a broad-based supply chain of long-established and highly skilled sub-contractors.
Libri Publishing Ltd. is the publisher of the following LiHE-anthologies:
Teaching Creativity – Creativity in Teaching
Postgraduate Education. Form and Function
Beyond Transmission – Innovations in University Teaching
Simulations, Games and Role-Play in University Education
Learning in Higher Education – Contemporary Standpoints
Case-Based Learning in Higher Education
Quality Enhancement of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
Student Engagement. Identity, Motivation and Community
Learning Space Design in Higher Education
Technology-Enhanced Learning in Higher Education
Innovative Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
Learning to Research – Researching to Learn
Globalisation of Higher Education
Assessing Learning in Higher Education
- 26 March 2017: Final deadline for submitting the template describing your NEW INNOVATION IN TEACHING AND LEARNING IN HIGHER EDUCATION.
- 2 April 2017: Notification of final review decisions.
- 16 April 2017: Registration & payment (only accepted authors can register and attend the symposium).
- 30 April 2017: All documentations of INNOVATIVE TEACHING AND LEARNING PRACTICES are collected and circulated to participating authors for collegial feedback.
- 8-10 May 2017: 17th International LiHE symposium takes place in Wonderful Copenhagen. Venue: Bredgade 28.
- Autumn 2017: THE HANDBOOK OF NEW INNOVATIONS IN TEACHING AND LEARNING IN HIGHER EDUCATION is published worldwide.
IMPORTANT SYMPOSIUM INFORMATION
Due to the collaborative nature of the symposium, it is required that authors are present for the entire duration of the symposium.